19 December 2006

Brad may be dating fellow Survivor Cook Islands cast member J.P.

posted Nov. 13, 2006 at 9:35 PM by Andy Dehnart
.
Brad Virata, who was kicked off Survivor Cook Islands last week, may be dating another male contestant on the show, J.P.

In an interview with AfterElton.com, Brad responds to a question about rumors that he and J.P. are dating by laughing and then saying, “Um, it’s all about timing in life. I can’t answer that. JP is a great guy. You’ll have to wait for the finale.” That’s largely a non-answer answer, but if there was no truth to those rumors, or if J.P. was straight, Brad probably would have just said so.

J.P. Calderon, by the way, works part-time as a bartender at a gay bar, The Silver Fox, in Long Beach, according to the Long Beach Gazette. Working at a gay bar doesn’t make him gay, of course, but it’d be interesting if this diverse season had two openly gay male contestants who both left the show without any mention of their sexual orientation, especially if they had some sort of relationship during production.

Speaking of, Brad says he’s “surprised” that the series didn’t include conversations about his sexual orientation because “everyone knew” that he is gay. He says, “I’m surprised that CBS didn’t show my whole coming out story. We had a powwow, sort of a roundtable campfire discussion when we merged, and that’s when I told my story.” That story includes that “I grew up athletic, I grew up playing football, I grew up running track,” he says. “Over all, just from a physical standpoint, I kept up with them. I kicked some straight boy booty.”

As to Nate, his fellow cast member “apologized to me after the fact” for calling him a “nancy boy” in an interview, Brad says. “I don’t think he meant to call me nancy boy in a bad way. I think it was a stress factor, and it was pissing rain, you know? You take everything with a grain of salt. He apologized to me after the fact, and it is what it is, but I know a lot of people are pissed off about it.”

No comments: